Degrading Canada

A while back Tom Flanagan nailed a phrase which I think may very well come to epitomize the entire reign of 'The Harper Government:'
It doesn't have to be true. It just has to be plausible.

As I outlined yesterday (Harper risks denigrating our soldiers) and as many others have done too, the Roveian theme that to investigate the growing Afghanistan detention scandal is to not support our troops is being repeated by the Conservatives at every turn.

I repeat what I said yesterday: The Conservatives run the risk of having their falsehoods be believed by Canadians. Their falsehoods about the Liberals is not what I mean. It's their falsehoods about who can be held responsible for any detainee torture. If it comes to pass that the scandal leads somewhere, the optics forced by Harper may lead Canadians to believe that our troops are responsible, when, in reality, the fault can be found back in Ottawa.

Maybe that suits Harper fine. Evading responsibility by blaming ours troops would be Harper's tactic. Better them than him, he figures. When backed into a corner, Harper will do anything. Such as when he used libel law to shut down questions over the Cadman Affair, prorogued Parliament to avoid a non-confidence vote, started to force a unity crisis over the Green Shift, accused a Prime Minister of supporting pedophiles... I almost expect to wake up one day and find our opposition parliamentarians arrested for sedition.


For one of the best take downs of this despicable tactic -- and I don't often do this -- go read Coyne.

No comments:

Not here, Over There!

Looking for me? This blog has been dead for quite a while. You can find my latest blog at https://korptopia.blogspot.ca/ My other social m...